Thursday 20 September 2012

The 30 Day Art Journal

Having been inspired by my friend, I have decided I am going to do some blogging on my artwork, knitting and my modelling.

First of all, It was recently my 22nd birthday. For my birthday, this particular friend gave me, what I thought was one of the most thoughtful and creative presents I could ever be given. She is a wonderful artist and we both share a love of art but I frequently lack motivation to get myself to do it. We have both had experiences with Depression and previously she had been telling me about how calming it can be to just put your feelings onto a page and use your imagination to create new things. I believe she called it 'Art Therapy'.

Anyway, as a birthday present she made a very impressive card for me. It wasn't any ordinary card. The front is an absolute stunning piece of work she had created using Zentangle Patterns. She first introduced me to Zentangle patterns and since then I have absolutely adored them. I love the intricacy and concentration that has to go into them.

Here is a picture of the front of the card:

 


Then aside from the lovely message on the inside she had made a '30 Day Art Journal Challenge'.


Fill a page a day.

1.) Take a minute to connect with your feelings. Close your eyes. Imagine. Draw or paint them.
2.) Doodle until  you fill an entire page.
3) Pick an object in your house. While looking only at the object put your pen to paper and draw it without picking up your pen. Colour in your crazy art.
4) Find a beautiful picture in a magazine cut it out and make that the centre of your art journal page.
5) Imagine your inner critic as a monster. Draw or paint that monster.
6) Pick a quote and design an art journal page around it.
7) Write down five of your core beliefs. Pick one and illustrate it.
8) What is your favourite fairy tale? Draw or paint your favourite scene.
9) Think about someone who inspires you. Use the person's characteristics to inspire your journal page.
10) Live in the moment. Journal about whatever is on your mind.
11) Construct a Journal page around the last time that you travelled.
12) Grab some junk mail and use it as the background of your page. Colour over it.
13) Write down 10 things that you are grateful for and use them to inspire your Journal Page.
14) Pick a lyric from one of your favourite song and illustrate it.
15) Find a poem and let it inspire your Journal Page.
16) Pretend you are a goddess. Draw her.
17) Illustrate your favourite moment from the last week.
18) Write a compliment to yourself for a recent accomplishment. Centre a Journal page around it.
19) Draw yourself in a beautiful ball gown.
20) Journal about things that you think are lovely.
21) Think about something in your everday life that you take for granted and devote your art journal page to it.
22) Paint or illustrate how you feel when you're at your favourite place.
23) Draw a large heart in the middle of the page and fill it with things that make your heart smile.
24) Think back to your favourite childhood memory and use it to inspire your Journal page.
25) Journal about peace and harmony.
26) Use glue to stick book pages to your Journal page and use as a background then draw and paint on top of them.
27) Pick three colours. Draw an animal using a pen and then use only those three colours to fill it in.
28) Draw a staircase and think about your biggest dream. Draw it at the top of the staircase and then fill in each step with goals to make it reality.
29) Journal about hopes. (I totally read her writing as Herpes hahaha)
30) Journal about things that make you laugh out loud.

 Therefore, prepare to see a mixture of crap art and reasonable art with a healthy dish of criticism towards all my own work. Hmmm maybe that is defeating the point of this challenge. Well I hope you enjoy!!

6 comments: